Thread: Why Do I have Different Browsers?..ie WAP,Internet,WiFi

GsmIndia.in Active Teen Unlock Trigger's Avatar

Lightbulb Why Do I have Different Browsers?..ie WAP,Internet,WiFi

5 browser names and their various aliases:
    BlackBerry Browser (”Corporate MDS”, “MDS”, “Enterprise”)
    Internet Browser (”Public MDS”, “BIS-B”)
    WAP Browser
    Hotspot Browser (”Wi-Fi Browser”)
    Unite Browser

1. BlackBerry Browser

Only available if device is connected to a BES at your company
    All traffic goes through the MDS-CS component of your company’s BES server
    Can access resources inside your company’s firewall, such as intranets and desktop PCs
    However, it’s also restricted by that same same firewall, just like the PC at your desk
    All of the other browsers are outside the firewall

2. Internet Browser

Virtually every device has this browser; no corporate BES connection or email setup required
    All traffic goes through one of a few MDS-CS servers hosted by RIM
    Sometimes requires that an APN be setup in order to work (on GSM networks)

3. WAP Browser

All traffic goes through the WAP gateway hosted by the carrier
    This is the only route where no RIM-owned servers or RIM-produced software are used during communication
    WAP gateways vary from carrier to carrier, making problems often difficult to resolve
    No MDS-CS present to perform content optimization; entire web page is sent to the device

4. Hotspot Browser

Uses Wi-Fi network to route traffic
    Sometimes goes through the BES’s MDS-CS and sometimes just on the local network
    Device setup makes this route somewhat unpredictable
    Generally very fast throughput, making pages load more quickly than all other browsers

5. Unite Browser

All traffic goes through the MDS-CS server running on the Unite server on your home computer
    Common Problems When Using the Incorrect Browser
    The web page won’t load
    web site is inside the firewall and you’re not using the BlackBerry Browser
    web site is blocked by your company’s firewall and you are using the BlackBerry Browser
    web site is carrier-specific and you’re not using the WAP Browser
    web site is hosted on your home PC and you’re not using the Unite browser
    Far more data than required may be downloaded
    when data flows through MDS-CS it is optimized for the device, including reducing image sizes, compressing text, and optimizing the HTML DOM tree
    using the WAP Browser the entire web page must be downloaded, even if images are 30x the size of the screen
    Slow page rendering
    data flowing through MDS-CS also undergoes optimization, such as pre-compiling JavaScript and modifying the HTML layout for a smaller screen size, increasing layout speeds
    using WAP Browser forces the device to do this work, which takes longer
    Larger financial cost
    since more data is transmitted when using WAP, plans that pay per megabyte will be more expensive
    Wi-Fi is generally free, so using it instead of cellular network saves money as well

Regards,Trigger
    Last edited by Unlock Trigger; 27-12-2008 at 01:26 AM.

GsmIndia.in Newbie

Hi.. I had asked this query earlier also. However as this is a browser post.. it may be more relevant here

1. DO u know a 3rd party browser which works for Storm 9530 & allows u to download files? Pl let me know at

2. Can I download files from links which automatically start BB Browser. BB browser is too slow & I want to know if u can reocommend a browser which can also download files & doesnot transfer control to BB Browser.

I am aware of Opera & Bolt but they all Txfer control to BB Browser. Just found a new browser - Minuet but it is a paid one.
    PL chk & revert
    Thanks in adv

GsmIndia.in Board Browser

Default Usługi wysokościowe

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Very helpful info specially the last part Odśnieżanie I care for such information much. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Thread Information